Sunday, January 25, 2015

Is privacy on social media possible?

I have been thinking the past couple of days about what we post on social media and privacy. Some people will post so much about themselves on social media such as where they are, what they are doing and who they are with very frequently throughout the day. Others post when they have received a special award or accomplished a goal or simply are bored and post a "to be honest post." All this posting that we do puts our lives on the Internet for anyone to use for their own benefit.

Last night I actually met a guy who said he saw me on Instagram and I barely knew him. We had mutual friends, but my account is private. I wondered what all that he knew about me. There are also times where I think I know someone who has requested to follow me and then realize I added someone I didn't know. Let's be real. How many of us actually read the privacy statement on these social media sites? I know I surely don't.

We put so many things on there that third-party users could get a hold of. Even if you know all of your followers/friends how do you know they are your real friends and aren't sending information to third parties. One lesson that should be a take away from this post is choose your friends in life wisely and choose your friends on social media wiser. You can't trust just anyone these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment